Friday, September 4, 2015

Feature Friday: Homestead Wishing

Simple Tips for Natural Cleaning

Vinegar:

White Vinegar Spray: 1 part vinegar, to 3 parts water

This is what I use on my stove top. It is a wonderful degreaser! You can also use it to remove hard water stains. I put some in my dishwasher to clean the build up off of the coils! I basically use vinegar for almost everything. Not to mention that it is only a few bucks for a gallon! Then I also dilute it. I save lots of money by using vinegar to clean! Here is a list of ways I use it to clean in my home.
natural cleaning
Photo credit: Artist Sumodaz

The Natural Cleaning List:

  • Toilet bowl -Add a little vinegar and a little bit of baking soda
  • Countertop – spray on and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, and then it wipes clean with minimal scrubbing
  • Stovetop – same as countertop instructions
  • Fabric softener/odor remover – Put 1/4 cup vinegar into your washer to soften clothes
  • Bug repellent – I am currently working on a recipe that works (I will share when completed!)
  • Dog bed cleaner – My dog is extra stinky. I take the inserts from her bed spray with my vinegar spray and lay in the sun to dry. Works great!
  • Vegetable/fruit wash
  • Clean dishwasher – Fill a small bowl halfway with vinegar and run a full cycle
  • Wood floor cleaner – Vinegar 1/p to water 3/p plus 1/4 cup of olive oil
  • Microwave – Fill a small microwavable bowl with vinegar, and cook until the vinegar boils. Do not open the door, let it sit there for 5-10 more minutes. Then wipe clean!
  • Walls/baseboards/door handles/light switches – I just wet the rag with the vinegar spray and wipe away. For spring cleaning add some soap to your rag.
  • Bathtub Cleaner – 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup soap, 1 quart water, 2 TBSP baking soda
natural cleaning

Other cleaning tips…

Coffee Pot – Old school hack ~Clean that decanter with Ice, salt and lemon! Swirl it around for a few minutes let it sit, swirl it around again. Repeat until stains are gone! 
Homemade Laundry Detergent recipe.
Kitchen sink – I like to wash with soap and water, but for a deeper clean I will put some baking soda in the sink and scrub it really well.
Bathroom odor control – If you place just a little of baking soda around the bottom of the toilet. Just on that little lip where the bolts are. I have all boys and lets face it, they MISS! Baking soda not only deodorizes the pee smell but it also soaks up some of the miss. When I clean the bathroom I just sweep it off clean it up and apply more. I know it is gross. That is life with boys.
Well, I sure hope that this helps you. I am super happy to not be using really strong chemicals. I have been cleaning for many years, and I swore by the nonsense of harsh chemicals. I really thought that was the only way to really get things clean. I wish I had known about vinegar and it’s magical powers then!
Thank you for stopping by!

Do you have any favorite natural cleaners you use?

 

You can check out Homestead Wishing here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment